HLT51612: Chronic Health Problems- Nursing Case Study Assignment
John Magill, 75 years of age, has been admitted to hospital after having a fall at home. John was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease five years ago. On arrival at the emergency department he was noted to have a generalised tremor and decreased mobility. John is a little confused and complaining of hip and back discomfort. He is very worried about his medications which are due to be taken.
Restless, agitated and at times teary. Xrays reveal no fractures to John’s lower limbs however he has sustained significant generalised bruising especially to his hips and buttocks and a skin tear to his right hip. Nursing staff noted that John started to cough after being given a drink of water.
Respiratory rate- 24
Heart Rate- 76
Oxygen saturation- 99%,
Weight- 78 Kgs
Citalopram 20mgms daily
Kinson (100 mg of levodopa and 25 mg of anhydrous carbidopa) 1 tablet TDS
Madopar HBS 125mgs Nocte (controlled release)
John lives at home with his wife, Fran, who assists with his care. Fran is currently in remission from multiple myeloma. John does not smoke and consumes alcohol very rarely.
The assignment should include these components:
2) Possible causes / risks factors related to the health condition
3) Discuss clinical manifestations of Parkinson’s disease and key physical assessment
4) Discuss medical management including medications
5) Develop holistic nursing care plans using NANDA in order of priority. It should consist of
a) Three nursing diagnosis
b) A goal for each nursing diagnosis
c) Three nursing interventions
d) Three rationales for each
e) An evaluation for each diagnosis
6) Make a discharge plan for John, focusing on the health education and any referrals to allied health professionals you think John and his wife may need
9) Grammar, spelling and punctuation