Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) is an evidence-based practice intervention used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on substances such as tobacco, alcohol and illicit drugs. The SBIRT model was incited by an Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendation that called for community-based screening for health risk behaviors. The purpose of this assignment is to integrate SBIRT into nursing practice to help stimulate positive change at the individual and population focused level of care.
SBIRT consists of three major components.1. Screening—A healthcare professional assesses a patient for concerning behaviors using standardized screening tools. Screening can occur in any healthcare setting.2. Brief Intervention—A healthcare professional engages a patient in a short conversation, providing feedback and advice regarding concerning behaviors.3. Referral to Treatment—A healthcare professional provides a referral to resources and/or treatment options and additional services available (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA], n.d.)
1. Prior to starting the presentation, you are to read the assigned training.2. SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Overview of screening, assessment and brief intervention: a nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.· Choose “Watch On Demand Recording”· Start at minute 9:08/slide 12, end at 1hr 27 sec. (slide 80)3. Or you may go directly to the YouTube video:4. SBIRT Education. (2015, May 10). Overview of SBIRT: a nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use [Video File]. Retrieved from Overview of SBIRT: A Nursing Response to the Full Spectrum of Substance Use (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
5. Use this BNI checklist for the role play at the end: BNI Checklist (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Brief negotiated interview checklist [PDF Document]. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. You are encouraged to review the assignment tutorial found at the end of the Academic Integrity Reminder.
6. Next, choose one addiction or problem to focus on for this assignment from the options below.
· Opioid abuse
· Drug use (prescription or illicit)
· You must be specific to which drug you are choosing
7. You are required to use one of the problems listed above. Assignments that do not follow the current guidelines or use the required forms or templates will be evaluated for evidence of an academic integrity violation. After the due date, there will be no opportunity for revision or resubmission of assignments that have been uploaded to the submission area. It is your responsibility to submit the correct assignment to the correct submission area.
8. After you have chosen the addiction/problem, you are to research SBIRT training specific to that problem/addition. Before starting to work on the presentation, it is vital you understand how SBIRT is used with that particular addiction/problem. You must find at least two scholarly resources (other than readings assigned in the course) and one video resource. Search YouTube for one SBIRT training video from a reputable source that shows a provider using SBIRT with a patient. Watch this video so that you understand the steps of SBIRT.
9. You may choose to complete this assignment as a PowerPoint poster or PowerPoint multiple slide presentation. Download the SBIRT PowerPoint poster (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. or slide presentation template (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
10. Length: The poster should be one page with all boxes on template complete. The slide presentation should be no more than twelve slides, not including the title and references slides.
Below are the requirements needed for successful completion of the SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment presentation.1. Introduction to the problem and/or addiction: Clearly identify the problem, and discuss specific statistics from your community related to this problem. You may use city or county data. For example, if you choose tobacco use, you should find the tobacco use rate in your city or county.2. Problem description : Utilize one scholarly reference (not assigned in this course) to describe this problem/addiction. Discuss reasons why this may be a problem in your community. Cite all sources.3. SBIRT description: Utilize at least one scholarly reference different from the one selected for the problem description above, and not assigned in this course, to describe how SBIRT is used with this specific addiction/problem. Identify specific steps and questions that are used.4. Video: Locate and describe at least one video that demonstrates SBIRT related to the addiction you chose.5. Citation: Cite all sources.6. Community resources: Describe at least two available community resources to which you may refer people who have this problem or an increased potential for acquiring this problem. You are to provide the names of these resources and brief descriptions. You may use online resources if community resources are not available.7. Conclusion/future implications for nursing: Provide a summary of your findings. Discuss the use of SBIRT in nursing practice.8. References: Provide all references for all sources utilized. Use APA format, however, a hanging indent is not necessary.
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.· Review directions thoroughly.· We recommend that you use one of the linked templates. Replace the placeholder text with your own content. Use a black or colored font that is easy to read.· Be creative. You may choose a design (from design tab) to enhance visual appeal.· Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.· Use short bullet points and large font for easier reading. For PowerPoint slides, use no more than eight lines per slide and no more than eight words per line.· Do not use the notes are in the PowerPoint format (they are not visible in Canvas-Speedgrader)· Cite all sources within the slides or poster with (author, year) as well as on the Reference slide or section.· Proofread prior to final submission.· Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). (n.d.). SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment.
NR443 SBIRT PresentationCriteriaRatingsPtsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeIntroduction to problem25.0 ptsProblem is adequately identified and statistical data about the problem in student’s community is clearly presented.22.0 ptsProblem is adequately identified and statistical data presented, but data is not from the student’s community.20.0 ptsProblem is identified and statistical data is presented but data is not relevant to this problem10.0 ptsProblem is not clear or statistical data is not presented.0.0 ptsProblem is not identified and statistical data is not presented.25.0 ptsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeProblem support with scholarly literature and problem rationale.45.0 ptsThoroughly presents at least one scholarly reference (not assigned in this course) to describe this problem and discusses relevant reasons why this is a problem in student’s community.40.0 ptsAdequately presents at least one scholarly reference (not assigned in this course) to describe this problem and discusses reasons why this is a problem in student’s community.36.0 ptsPresents a scholarly source that is not clearly relevant to problem and reasons for problem are described.17.0 ptsScholarly source is not presented or reasons for problem are not described.0.0 ptsScholarly source is not presented and reasons for problem are not described.45.0 ptsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSBIRT55.0 ptsThoroughly addresses all of the following elements: • Utilizes at least one scholarly reference (not assigned in this course) to describe how SBIRT is used with this problem. • Identifies specific steps and questions that are used. • Describes at least one video that demonstrates SBIRT related to the problem discussed.48.0 ptsAdequately addresses all of the elements listed in the first column.44.0 ptsMissing one element listed in the first column.21.0 ptsMissing two elements listed in first column.0.0 ptsDoes not address any of the elements listed in first column OR is not on one of the assigned addiction/problems.55.0 ptsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCommunity Resources40.0 ptsThoroughly addresses all of the following elements: • two relevant community resources that could be used as a referral identified • provides the names of these resources • includes brief description of each referral resource35.0 ptsAdequately addresses all of the elements listed in the first column.32.0 ptsMissing one element listed in the first column.15.0 ptsMissing two elements listed in the first column.0.0 ptsCommunity resources not addressed.40.0 ptsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeConclusion and Future Implications25.0 ptsThoroughly summarizes findings. Discusses the implications for the use of SBIRT in nursing practice.22.0 ptsAdequately summarizes findings and use of SBIRT in nursing practice20.0 ptsSummarizes findings but does not discuss use of SBIRT in nursing practice.10.0 ptsDiscusses use of SBIRT in nursing practice but does not summarize findings.0.0 ptsSummary and use of SBIRT in nursing practice not present.25.0 ptsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMechanics and organization20.0 ptsExcellent mechanics and organization with minimal errors of the following: • well organized and logical, • appealing to eye, • includes creativity, • font is easy to read (short bullet points rather than sentences or paragraphs), • correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, • professional wording is used.18.0 ptsGood mechanics and organization considering the elements listed in the first column. A few errors noted.16.0 ptsFair mechanics and organization considering the elements listed in the first column. Some errors noted.8.0 ptsPoor mechanics and organization considering the elements listed in the first column. Many errors noted.0.0 ptsVery poor mechanics and organization considering the elements listed in the first column such that it is difficult to follow or understand.20.0 ptsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAPA15.0 ptsExcellent APA formatting with minimal errors of the following: • all sources cited on the slide or poster • all references listed in place provided in APA format • no more than one short quotation, and • length is no more than 12 slides for PowerPoint, excluding title and reference slides. For poster one page13.0 ptsGood APA formatting considering the elements listed in the first column. A few APA errors noted.12.0 ptsFair APA formatting considering the elements listed in the first column. Some APA errors noted.6.0 ptsPoor APA formatting considering the elements listed in the first column. Many APA errors noted.0.0 ptsVery poor APA formatting such that paper is difficult to read. Numerous APA errors noted.